Henry to leave coaching role

Discuss all things Arsenal

Postby ForeverRed » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 am

So Thierry is leaving his coaching role after a very hipocritical ultimatum by Arsene Wenger. Reports suggest Thierry has even asked to work for free but Wenger has said its either Sky or Arsenal.

But it's ok for Wenger swan off to French TV every international tournament and do his "Punditry"
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:12 am

ForeverRed wrote:So Thierry is leaving his coaching role after a very hipocritical ultimatum by Arsene Wenger. Reports suggest Thierry has even asked to work for free but Wenger has said its either Sky or Arsenal.

But it's ok for Wenger swan off to French TV every international tournament and do his "Punditry"

That`s not the full story FR. The problem with Thierry working for SKY is that he criticises Arsenal players in particular Giroud which is not a good thing if you are working for the Club. I also don`t see it hypocritical of AW working for TV during International tournaments as he doesn`1t criticise his own players.
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:32 am

Rainham Red wrote:
ForeverRed wrote:So Thierry is leaving his coaching role after a very hipocritical ultimatum by Arsene Wenger. Reports suggest Thierry has even asked to work for free but Wenger has said its either Sky or Arsenal.

That`s not the full story FR. The problem with Thierry working for SKY is that he criticises Arsenal players in particular Giroud which is not a good thing if you are working for the Club. I also don`t see it hypocritical of AW working for TV during International tournaments as he doesn`1t criticise his own players.

Egg-f*cking-zactly !!!

Wenger knows what should and shouldn't be said when you're an employee of a certain club. Thierry has little to offer when it comes to interesting punditry, so his biggest card is that he has access to 'Inside Arsenal' and he's 'not afraid to speak his mind'.

I can't see how anyone who follows Arsenal could think this is a good arrangement.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby Gunnersaurus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Massive own goal from Wenger here, Henry was already employed by Sky when he got the Arsenal job so it just looks like Wenger is unable to take criticism and is trying to censor it.

The club had no issue with him being a pundit when he was invited to coach so not much has changed in the situation apart from Wenger trying to shield himself and players from honest opions, reports say people at the club were happy for this to continue but it was Wenger who stopped it, makes him look bitter.

Perhaps not the best week for this to break when the club are also outed for (rightfully) clamping down on racist/homophobic posts on social media as it just looks like the club/Wenger are dictators.
Gunnersaurus
Forum Supporter

Postby Friscoslug » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:33 pm

For me it is neither hypocritical nor an inability to take criticism.

Thierry will continue to criticise players as a mediocre Sky pundit. Just as the many other past Arsenal players who do punditry do. So, that cannot be the issue.
It's likely to do more with the added credibility his comments gain as an "insider" with his coaching role at Arsenal. For me it was always a conflict of interest that
I was not comfortable with. Especially since his need to fit in is likely to cause him to divulge information off air to ex-players likely to find its way into the press
and back into rival clubs.

It is a loyalty test he failed - money cannot be his motivation. Let him do his worst untethered from his club connection on a par with Scholes, Giggs, Neville, et al.

BTW: anyone notice the criticism the BBC got for allowing McEnroe to commentate on his coachee's game against Murray?
Friscoslug
Forum Supporter

Postby bigpecks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:30 pm

More interested in his own self image than actually putting something back into the game

Happy for him to sod off to be honest and have back TA.

Based on his punditary could never see him making a good coach.
bigpecks

Postby louder » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Friscoslug wrote:For me it is neither hypocritical nor an inability to take criticism.

Thierry will continue to criticise players as a mediocre Sky pundit. Just as the many other past Arsenal players who do punditry do. So, that cannot be the issue.
It's likely to do more with the added credibility his comments gain as an "insider" with his coaching role at Arsenal. For me it was always a conflict of interest that
I was not comfortable with. Especially since his need to fit in is likely to cause him to divulge information off air to ex-players likely to find its way into the press
and back into rival clubs.

It is a loyalty test he failed - money cannot be his motivation. Let him do his worst untethered from his club connection on a par with Scholes, Giggs, Neville, et al.

BTW: anyone notice the criticism the BBC got for allowing McEnroe to commentate on his coachee's game against Murray?

Boomshanker !!!! Spot on, Frisky.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 pm

bigpecks wrote:More interested in his own self image than actually putting something back into the game

Yup !
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby NickF » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:26 pm

bigpecks wrote:More interested in his own self image than actually putting something back into the game

How do you work that one out when he is doing his coaching badges and apparently offered to coach the kids for free? :shrug:
NickF
Forum Supporter

Re: Henry to leave coaching role

Postby bigpecks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Exactly that. Offering to coach for free yet maintain his tv role is perfect way to endorse your own self image.

If he was genuinely serious about becoming a top coach you would concentrate 100% on that.
bigpecks

Postby Tenbob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Possibly he spent more time away than at the training ground and the club wanted a more full time committed coach.
Or he was a just rubbish.
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Re: Henry to leave coaching role

Postby CaptainOoermrs » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 am

I wonder if he is more suited in the role of an ambassador than anything more demanding.
I am not too sure if there any players who have then become tv pundits and after gone on to be successful managers.
Whilst I am not saying TH falls into this category. I think most like to talk the talk but don't want to go any further.
CaptainOoermrs
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 am

Would be nice to see Wenger stick to one role then if Thierry has to. Wenger is a control freak. Seems he likes pushing strong characters out of the club, anyone who could have a strong opinion is cast aside. The greatest premier league striker ever who's offered to coach for free and you don't want him there. Utterly bizarre.
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:16 am

ForeverRed wrote:Would be nice to see Wenger stick to one role then if Thierry has to. Wenger is a control freak. Seems he likes pushing strong characters out of the club, anyone who could have a strong opinion is cast aside. The greatest premier league striker ever who's offered to coach for free and you don't want him there. Utterly bizarre.

AW wouldn`t have offered Thierry a job in the first place if he was worried that he might be upstaged and also he would not have given him a choice to stay if he left Sky. As I`ve said previously it`s TH`s criticism of our players which has annoyed Wenger and do you remember why Roy Keane was pushed out of United by Sir Alex it was because he was publicly criticising his team-mates.You don`t shit in your own backyard
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:15 pm

I wonder how Andries Jonker feels about whats happened, seeing that it was him that offered Henry the job of coaching the U 18's. Undermined would be my guess.
What did she wear......
She wore,she wore,she wore a yellow ribbon......

Keep St George in my heart keep me English......
FOYS

Postby louder » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:36 pm

FOYS wrote:I wonder how Andries Jonker feels about whats happened, seeing that it was him that offered Henry the job of coaching the U 18's. Undermined would be my guess.

That's a surprise ! The feelings that you've guessed Jonker has about Henry leaving suggest to you he's unhappy with Wenger.

These Wenger-out bods are funny :D
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:57 pm

louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:I wonder how Andries Jonker feels about whats happened, seeing that it was him that offered Henry the job of coaching the U 18's. Undermined would be my guess.

That's a surprise ! The feelings that you've guessed Jonker has about Henry leaving suggest to you he's unhappy with Wenger.

Now where have I suggested that he's unhappy with Wenger ?
What did she wear......

FOYS

Postby louder » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:06 pm

FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

So he is feeling happily undermined ? More and more ridiculous !
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:06 pm

louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

No, the question was where did FOYS say he's unhappy with Wenger.
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 am

louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

Someone needs to look up the definition of undermined.
What did she wear......

FOYS

Next

Return to Arsenal Chat