The hunt for the new manager

Discuss all things Arsenal

Postby Thynker » Mon May 14, 2018 11:12 am

Unfortunately Allegri has ruled himself out.
He says he's staying at Juventus unless they fire him.

Personally I don't want a manager like Vieira or Arteta who have limited experience.
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I find it interesting , not what he has said but what he hasn’t. I have had a problem with Wenger’s tactics for a long time , that’s coaching , but from a managerial point of view ,I think he did a good job. I have been reading the details of the deals for Mkhitarayn and Aubameyang and the vast amounts money involved and taking account of the only actual Arsenal supporter on the board Ken Friar’s comment last week that he was given a budget and was told to work within it. Why do you think he left one year early ?

Look at it this way having spent all of his time at the new stadium in austerity .Suddenly as he is about to leave , the board employs new people and amazingly they find a vault of cash behind the chairman’s sofa.

I don’t think we will hear the whole story straight away , but eventually we might find that it was not only the American influence but the banking sector of the board whose natural hesitation to spend held us back.

By leaving a year earlier than the board expected he has left them in a position that they did not want or actually prepared for . Behind the scenes they may well have someone lined up but now they need either to bring it forward or appoint a stop gap .

I would not be surprised to see Bould gets it as an interim .
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

Re: The hunt for the new manager

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Julian Nagelsmann Young German manager in the frame according to Sky .
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Sky Bet logo
£0.00
Next Permanent Arsenal Manager
Manager Specials

Next Permanent Manager
Lastest betting from Skybet has Arteta as favourite

Temporary or caretaker managers in charge for 10 competitive games will be deemed permanent and settled as a winner. Others on request.
Mikel Arteta
5/4
Brendan Rodgers
7/2
Massimiliano Allegri
4/1
Luis Enrique
9/1
Julian Nagelsmann
10/1
Patrick Vieira
11/1
Rui Faria
12/1
Carlo Ancelotti
14/1
Unai Emery
14/1
Željko Buvač
18/1
Antonio Conte
22/1
Diego Simeone
22/1
Eddie Howe
22/1
Joachim Loew
22/1
Rafael Benitez
22/1
Show All
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am

Arteta
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am

Hello folks, long time no speak! Hope you're all well.

According to a few extremely reliable sources (look at me all ITK :D ) our new manager is going to be Arteta. It's done barring any bizarre last minute changes.

I assume we will be going with Mikel as head coach, Sanllehi as Director Of Football to oversee everything away from the actual coaching and tactics side of things and then Mislintat to be in firm control of player recruitment (obviously with Mikel involved in some capacity).

Whatever happens, we must get behind our new manager. Many fans have been calling for change for a long time, and now when the board would like to take a new direction people are still moaning :lol:

If it goes wrong then we will deal with it if it comes. But let's be positive and excited!

:flag:
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

ForeverRed wrote:Hello folks, long time no speak! Hope you're all well.

According to a few extremely reliable sources (look at me all ITK :D ) our new manager is going to be Arteta. It's done barring any bizarre last minute changes.

I assume we will be going with Mikel as head coach, Sanllehi as Director Of Football to oversee everything away from the actual coaching and tactics side of things and then Mislintat to be in firm control of player recruitment (obviously with Mikel involved in some capacity).

Whatever happens, we must get behind our new manager. Many fans have been calling for change for a long time, and now when the board would like to take a new direction people are still moaning :lol:

If it goes wrong then we will deal with it if it comes. But let's be positive and excited!

Hello FR it`s been a long time since you posted. Hope you are well and will be posting on a regular basis again
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby Thynker » Tue May 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I've no interest in Arteta coming in.

What will he teach the squad about defending?
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Tue May 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Rainham Red wrote:
ForeverRed wrote:Hello folks, long time no speak! Hope you're all well.

Hello FR it`s been a long time since you posted. Hope you are well and will be posting on a regular basis again

I know it has been a while. Glad to see you're all still here.

I am well mate hope all is good with you!
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Thynker wrote:I've no interest in Arteta coming in.

The same questions were asked of Pep when Barca appointed him from the Barca B team.. :shrug:
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby Thynker » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm

ForeverRed wrote:

The same questions were asked of Pep when Barca appointed him from the Barca B team.. :shrug:

And he still doesn't know about defending.
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Tue May 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Thynker wrote:
ForeverRed wrote:

And he still doesn't know about defending.

As positive as ever Thynker!
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Tue May 15, 2018 5:47 pm

There are people who wanted Wenger out but are now complaining about the possible direction the club are going in. Personally, Wenger has gone and I will miss him, but I'll be happy to see how things go. The new structure is an interesting one and, despite Arteta not being my first choice in a traditional Manager role, he may be ok as a coach within a structure. I'm intrigued.

Wenger was bloody good though.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Tue May 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Wenger was a good manager for the club but tactically flawed. Lets not forget that there has been a slow but consistent decline in our performance as other teams found out his style and countered it. We now have a new path to tread but Arteta , although I have respect for the man , smacks of more of the same . Should mhe get the post I hope he has the nous to include other voices in his thinking to enable the team to do different things on different days.

potter
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Arteta on mangement and his ambitions written 3 years ago.

My philosophy will be clear. I will have everyone 120 per cent committed, that’s the first thing. If not, you don’t play for me. When it’s time to work it’s time to work, and when it’s time to have fun then I’m the first one to do it, but that commitment is vital. Then I want the football to be expressive, entertaining. I cannot have a concept of football where everything is based on the opposition. We have to dictate the game, we have to be the ones taking the initiative, and we have to entertain the people coming to watch us. I’m 100 per cent convinced of those things, and I think I could do it.

I think you need to adapt. You can have an idea of a system, but you need to be able to transform it depending on the players you have – how much pace you have up front, how technical your team is, what types of risk you can take and whether your players are ready to take those risks. It’s important to analyse your players because you can’t always play the same way. There have to be different details and changes in how you approach things, and you have to look at how you can hurt whoever you are playing against. Is there something they don’t like to do? If so, we’re going to make them do plenty of it. Then the most important thing for the manager is that, the Friday before the game, you imagine what’s going to happen on the Saturday. And if what happens on Saturday is not what I had planned, then it’s not been good enough from me.

Interesting if that's his interview speech.

potter
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 am

potter wrote:Arteta on mangement and his ambitions written 3 years ago.

My philosophy will be clear. I will have everyone 120 per cent committed, that’s the first thing. If not, you don’t play for me. When it’s time to work it’s time to work, and when it’s time to have fun then I’m the first one to do it, but that commitment is vital. Then I want the football to be expressive, entertaining. I cannot have a concept of football where everything is based on the opposition. We have to dictate the game, we have to be the ones taking the initiative, and we have to entertain the people coming to watch us. I’m 100 per cent convinced of those things, and I think I could do it.

I think you need to adapt. You can have an idea of a system, but you need to be able to transform it depending on the players you have – how much pace you have up front, how technical your team is, what types of risk you can take and whether your players are ready to take those risks. It’s important to analyse your players because you can’t always play the same way. There have to be different details and changes in how you approach things, and you have to look at how you can hurt whoever you are playing against. Is there something they don’t like to do? If so, we’re going to make them do plenty of it. Then the most important thing for the manager is that, the Friday before the game, you imagine what’s going to happen on the Saturday. And if what happens on Saturday is not what I had planned, then it’s not been good enough from me.

Interesting if that's his interview speech.

Yes interesting but it`s easy to write how you will do the job, you or I could have written that but it doesn`t mean we would become great Managers it`s a different matter when you are dealing with a squad of filthy rich prima donna`s. The days when players actually supported the club they played for like Tony Adams are over it is every man for himself now like Sanchez he couldn`t wait to get away when United came calling with a £500k a week sweetener.
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby Hobart » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

I think Arteta is nailed on for two reasons....

1. No experienced manager of any calibre will take the job with the budget we are offering.
2. No Mercenary manager will take the job with the salary we will be offering.

That leaves novices. Vieira and Arteta. Vieira maybe later down the line but i think Gazidis and Co think they can control Arteta more.

Either way, and I'm sad to say this, they are on course to fail big time.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 am

Hobart wrote:I think Arteta is nailed on for two reasons....

1. No experienced manager of any calibre will take the job with the budget we are offering.
2. No Mercenary manager will take the job with the salary we will be offering.

That leaves novices. Vieira and Arteta. Vieira maybe later down the line but i think Gazidis and Co think they can control Arteta more.

Either way, and I'm sad to say this, they are on course to fail big time.

What do you mean when you say Gazidis and Co want to control Mikel Arteta ?
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby gunnerrob » Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 am

Well we are going into interesting times and our expectations must me pitched sensibly for the season ahead.

Our failure over recent years has simply been that any team always fancied their chances of scoring against a defence which got leakier season by season. This is the number one priority for the new manager and his team.

I am worried that Arteta - being an ex-player and here throughout most of the defensive decline of the Club - might not do this. He might be a ‘yes’ man that ticks all the boxes for the Board but not us, the fans!

We need a new start, new ideas; fresh faces and someone not afraid to do the difficult pruning job on this current squad.
gunnerrob

Postby gunnerrob » Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 am

Oh, and before anyone says so.

Easy said than done!!!!
gunnerrob

Next

Return to Arsenal Chat